Its been a long time, but Mayhem is finally coming. 2K and Gearbox Software has released a teaser trailer for the next installment in the Borderlands franchise, dubbed Mask of Mayhem. Even though information is still a bit sparse, the teaser contains numerous references, hints and tips. Check it out:
PCGamer scrutinized the teaser and came up with ‘n list of things they’ve learned from the trailer. Here is a short summary:
- Tiny Tina is not so tiny anymore and looks all grown up
- If you’ve played Tales From the Borderlands, you’ll notice the familiar faces of Rhys and Vaughn
- It seems like there are two villains, as previous leaks suggested., which might be the Calypso Twins
- The presence of a spaceship in the statue might indicate we’ll be able to leave Pandor
- The Vault Hunters might make a return and could include a robot
- Love or hate him, Claptrap is still part of the game, but it looks like he was shot
- Handsome Jack’s mask is visible early in the video. Could this have something to do with the Mask of Mayhem?
- There could be a new vehicle type: a sci-fi wheel car
- Lilith is back, and early speculation is that she’s gone rogue
- The trailer includes a hidden SWIFT code for Borderlands 2 to unlock a skin for Salvador and 5 golden keys
- There are bits of braille and Morse code saying “Follow and obey.” and “Count the Sirens.”
One hint not given in the teaser (at least not one that has been found) is a possible release date. Fortunately, there is a Gearbox PAX East panel livestream today (28 March) at 11:00 AM Pacific / 14:00 PM Eastern / 18:00 PM GMT / 19:00 PM CET and we might find out more.